Consolidation – Automation – Control (C-A-C): The mantra of Skipper’s present and future success was taken very seriously in 2018 thus bringing Skipper under vibrant regime of ONE-Skipper. The points considered in 2018 and successfully implemented:-
• Document Management System (DMS) all to be in cloud and accessible with Authority matrix
• Total E-banking, standardization in MIS to bring strong control
• Empowered skippesimplified.com to minimize the use of paper in organization. This site provides access to all skipperites with selective authority to view SOPs, all documents in DMS, Brand Manual and HR related realtime information.
Capex Implementation: In today’s world, the only way to maintain growth within the organization is investment with minimum borrowings. Skipper continued its strong capex spending in 2018 and is just as impressive.
• Skipper house in Victoria Island Lagos become operational in September 2018.
• Skipper new manufacturing plant for Switchgears & Transformers along with consolidated warehouse spread in about 50,000 sq mtr in Ikorodu- Lagos is under construction and will be fully functional by March 2019.
• Construction Machinery and Cranes ownership capacity is being augmented as per ABP (Annual Business Plan) to optimize Civil construction capacity for our Transmission lines, substations and power plants under construction by Skipper Nigeria & it’s SPVs.
• Power Transformers manufacturing capacity is already up-graded from 100MVA/220kV to 500MVA/765kV and Plant capacity from 3000MVA to 12,000MVA PA at Skipper Bhiwadi Plants by investing in test fields, cranes, production line and winding machines etc.
Project Closures within CTC (Time and Budgets): Today’s mantra of success lies in managing projects within budgeted CTC (Cost To Company) and well before agreed timeline. I am personally committed to visit every active project site and meet the cost and timelines. So do I expect from my CXOs and PMs. I am happy to note that – Burkina Faso (Rural Electrification), Togo-CEB (3X161kV Substations), Bihar – India (14X132kV Substations), Bhutan (8X11kV Substations), Calabar CR (10MW- Diesel Power Plant) were completed and handed over to the owners during last 6 months. I wish to congratulate the PMs and CXOs in achieving these milestones.
Open Houses conducted in SKIPPER MANUFACTURING & ENGINEERING in India: Open houses are conducted across skipper plants and offices annually. Recent open house sessions were conducted during November 2018 in plant (Supervisors & Above) and offices (Assistant Managers & Above) gave Corp. Hq. Management to realign with the workforce and many suggestions have been picked and approved by the board thus announcing the amendment in SOPs with immediate effect. Some of the suggestions are being implemented directly as such. Same practice is being adapted in African subsidiaries as well year on year.
MDP & EDP (Management & Executive Development Programme): An agency of the international fame has been appointed to drive the programme and do the capacity building of our organic team within Skipper. The first batch of Nigerian subsidiary shall conclude latest by March 2019; thus bringing placement of the winners in higher positions within the group.
We shall focus on completion of all projects near completion in the First quarter of this calendar year. I am eager to see the closure and handover of:
• TIGA HEP- Kano (10MW Hydro) in January 2019
• Mando- Kaduna (132kV Bay extension) in January 2019
• Kudendah – Kaduna (132kV Substation) in January 2019
• Lanlate/Abeokuta – Oyo (132kV Substation and bay extension) in April 2019
• Konongo- Ghana (33kV/20/26MVA Substation) in January 2019
• Berekum- Ghana (2X35MVA/161kV Substation, 34.5kV-2km and 161kV-40km lines) by January 2019
• Kenya- KPLC (5X10MVA/33kV Substations and 200km of lines) by March 2019
We will continue to support our CXOs and PMs through cash flow and central support to ensure them meeting their targets.
As we step into 2019, I would like to thank Almighty God for His continued blessings on our Group. We shall strive harder in 2019 at skipper to meet stakeholders’ expectations in deliverance, competitiveness & quality.
Wishing all of you and your wonderful families, A very Happy, Prosperous & Healthy New Year 2019.
Thank you and God Bless